Writing combines many skills and relies on development in areas not just specific to writing.
To begin to write, a child needs:
- Well-developed fine motor skills, using the muscles in the fingers and hands
- To be able to concentrate for periods of time
- A good memory
- To know what letters look like
- The language to be able to express themselves.
- To be willing to have a go and not worry about getting it ‘wrong’
Here you can see lots of activities that the children do on a daily basis to develop these skills…